Ellen Winick Stross
Ellen Winick Stross
J.D. 1992 – Northwestern University School of Law
Ms. Ellen Winick Stross is a Certified Specialist in Family Law and a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
Ms. Stross’s practice encompasses all aspects of family law, including complex issues of property, support, and custody. She has successfully represented corporate executives, venture capitalists, and other high-net-worth individuals throughout the litigation process and in trial.
Northern California Super Lawyers named Ms. Stross a Super Lawyer from 2005 to 2022, one of the top fifty women lawyers in Northern California from 2007-2008 and 2010-2022, and one of the top one hundred lawyers in Northern California from 2005-2022. Ms. Stross received an AV Preeminent Rating and AV Peer Review Rating by Lexis Nexis Martindale-Hubbell. She was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America from 2010-2022.
- The Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County awarded Ms. Stross the Dorothy M. Wolfe Award for outstanding service in 2006.
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Chapter President 2017-2018; Board of Managers, 2010 to 2018; Annual Symposium Co-Chair 2013; Mentor, San Mateo County, 2011 to 2014
- Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County, Co-Chair, Justice for All Luncheon, 2007 to 2012
- Kids’ Turn, Co-Chair, Annual Fundraiser, 2009-2012; Board of Directors, Kids’ Turn San Francisco, 2009 to 2012
- NARAL Peninsula Power of Choice Luncheon, Co-Chair, 2019-2020
- NARAL Peninsula Leadership Council, Chairperson, 2021-2022
- Moderator, Judge’s Panel: “What Judges Want and Don’t Want From Forensic CPAs,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Symposium, 2018
- Presenter, “The Entrepreneur’s Dilemma: The Characterization and Allocation of Challenging Compensation Structures,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Symposium, 2017
- Presenter, “A-Cross the Great Divide: Journeying Beyond ‘Isn’t It True?’: New Perspectives on the Age-Old Art of Cross-Examination,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Symposium, 2014
- Presenter, “Direct Examination,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Trial Practicum, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018
- Presenter, “Calculating Child Support in High-Earner Cases,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Northern California Symposium, 2010
- Presenter, “Psychiatric Evaluations in Family Law and Juvenile Courts: Problems and Possibilities,” Stanford University Medical School, Center for Psychiatry and the Law, 2003
- “Murphy Brown v. Mike Brady, Mary Poppins, and Known Donor: Advice for Women Who Want to Become Single Autonomous Birth Mothers,” ACFLS Newsletter, Spring 2008
- Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court, Associate, 1994-1996
- Coro Foundation Fellowship in Public Affairs, 1998-1989, St. Louis, MO
- Member of the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists and the Bar Associations of San Francisco and San Mateo Counties
- Ms. Stross was previously associated with the law firms of McCutchen, Doyle, Brown & Enersen, LLP (now Bingham McCutchen) and Friedman, Ross & Hersh.